Peasants under Siege: The Collectivization of Romanian Agriculture, 1949-1962, co-edited with Gail Kligman. 2011. Princeton University Press.
The Vanishing Hectare: Property and Value in Postsocialist Transylvania. 2003. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 420 pp.
- Recipient of the 2011 J. I. Staley Prize from The School for Advanced Research (SAR).
The School for Advanced Research (SAR) presents the J. I. Staley Prize to a living author for a book that exemplifies outstanding scholarship and writing in anthropology. The award recognizes innovative works that go beyond traditional frontiers and dominant schools of thought in anthropology and add new dimensions to our understanding of the human species. It honors books that cross subdisciplinary boundaries within anthropology and reach out in new and expanded interdisciplinary directions.
- Recipient of the William A. Douglass Prize of the Society for the Anthropology of Europe, American Anthropological Association.
- Honorable Mention for the Wayne S. Vucinich Prize, American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies.
- Honorable Mention for the Barbara Jelavich Prize, American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies.
The Political Lives of Dead Bodies: Reburial and Postsocialist Change. 1999. NY: Columbia University Press, 185 pp.
- Recipient of the Heldt Prize, Association of Women in Slavic Studies.
- Romanian translation Bucureşti: Editura Vremea, 2007.
- Chapter 1 reprinted in Death, Mourning, and Burial: A Cross-Cultural Reader, ed. Antonius C.G.M. Robben. Blackwell, 2004.
What Was Socialism, and What Comes Next? 1996. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 298 pp.
- Romanian translation, Iaşi: Editura Institutului European, 2003.
- Serbian translation, Belgrade: Edicija REČ, 2005.
- Greek translation, pending.
National Ideology Under Socialism: Identity and Cultural Politics in Ceauşescu’s Romania. 1991. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 406 pp.
- Romanian translation Bucharest: Editura Humanitas, 1994.
Transylvanian Villagers: Three Centuries of Political, Economic, and Ethnic Change. 1983. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 431 pp.
Property in Question: Value Transformation in the Global Economy, co-edited with Caroline Humphrey. 2004. Berg Press.
Uncertain Transition: Ethnographies of Everyday Life in the Postsocialist World, co-edited with Michael Burawoy. 1999. Boulder, CO: Rowman and Littlefield, 322 pp.
National Character and National Ideology in Interwar Eastern Europe, co-edited with Ivo Banac. 1995. New Haven: Yale Center for International Studies, 254 pp.
Gender and Nationalism in Eastern Europe. Special issue of East European Politics and Societies 8 (2), co-edited with József Böröcz. 1994.